Tuesday, July 22, 2008

VOIP

For the past 10 or so months, I've been using VOIP service from Avvanta. It's been an extended beta, but now it looks like they're getting ready to finally go live.

Unfortunately, the one feature I really want, doesn't appear to be coming... After a bit of reading, I've discovered that what I want is a "Ring Group". This means that a call comes in, and all of the phones assigned to that group will ring at the same time. Gosh...sounds an awful lot like what I get with zero effort from plugging an old-fashioned phone into the wall.

For example, I have a Grandstream 2000 SIP phone, and I also have a Nokia e90, which I can use with VOIP.

Well, the VOIP service is looking like it's gonna be pretty cheap ($10/month?), so if I can get the ring group, it'll be pretty nice. Who knows, perhaps I can say goodbye to Quest? (Wouldn't *that* be nice!)

So, I'm going to document my trials & tribulations setting up trixbox on a spare box here.

No comments: